BERT Training Fund (BTF) is a joint union and Employer initiative which provides members of the Building Employees Redundancy Trust (BERT) with funding and assistance to improve their skills. The Fund, which was previously known as Queensland Construction Training Fund was established in 1991 to enable the industry to take responsibility for the funding of its training needs.
Who We Help
BERT Training Fund (BTF) assists in the training of workers in the building and construction industry who are members of the Building Employees Redundancy Trust (BERT). Through skills training, workers can increase their skills, knowledge and expertise. This leads to better employment options, higher wages and a more productive industry. BTF will provide assistance in both the trade and non-trade occupations and in the building, civil and engineering construction sectors of the industry. The applicant may either be employed or unemployed.
How We Are Funded
BTF receives annual financial disbursements from BERT and related trust funds. These funds are provided to BTF for the purpose of improving skills in the industry. Since our inception, BTF has received (and distributed) over $72 million in training funds to the Queensland construction industry.
Bert Training Fund (BTF) regularly reviews its strategic direction to ensure we remain focused on achieving the objects of the fund.
The current strategic plan, contains the following objectives:
We aim to build a sustainable construction industry where the interests of workers and employers are advanced through continuous skills development. We seek an industry that takes responsibility for its training needs through committed and cooperative action. This includes the promotion and support of jointly managed training programs; industry controlled training facilities and industry owned training providers. Toward that end, we will adopt a consensus-based approach to training policy and remain focused on managing an independent, industry-led training fund.
We aim to be recognised as an integral part of the value chain of the construction industry.
BTF champions progressive values:
Health and Safety:
- We actively care about the wellbeing of each other
- We will will empower people to work safely
Integrity and Ethics:
- We are committed to responsibly managing funds under our control
- We recognise diversity and fair opportunity are crucial to the business
- We treat people with respect and dignity
- We actively listen and value the opinions of others
- We aspire to take on big challenges and commit to seeing them through
- We encourage innovation and initiative to drive continuous improvement
- We have the courage to challenge and the desire to act
- We will lead by example
- We will foster a positive learning environment within our workplace
- We will promote a continuous learning culture across the industry
- We respect the trust associated with administration of the funds we control
- We will maintain high standards of probity through a commitment to best practice managerial practices
Success and Results:
- We will pursue excellence across all of our activities
- We will provide a return on investment to our funding providers
- We seek to improve the industry in which we operate